Volunteering for iPraxis
Working in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) related discipline? You can inspire a new generation of students! Whether you can spare a few hours a week or just a few hours a year, you can make a difference in a student’s future!
Our approximately 100 science and technology volunteers, “Scienteers," are students, post-docs, scientists, engineers, and more! However, you don’t have to be an expert to sign-up. If you have a passion for anything STEM related and want to share that with the youth of Philadelphia, then you can still become a Scienteer!
Our Scienteers represent all racial, ethnic, and age groups in Philadelphia, and are united by a similar mission: to share their experience, knowledge, and skills with students who have had little or no exposure to science and technology.
By sharing first hand knowledge of cutting-edge developments in the sciences, Scienteers educate and motivate students to become the science leaders of tomorrow. Our scienteers participate in projects such as science fair mentoring and judging, guest teaching, and community events.
Volunteers needed now for the Henry C. Lea School in-class mentoring on Thursdays, from as early as 8:00 am and running no later than 3:00pm.
Are you interested in becoming a Scienteer? Your knowledge and experience can educate so many students. Whether you can spare a few hours a week or a few hours a year, you can make a difference!
Please click the button below and fill out our Volunteer Information Form.
Opportunities To Volunteer
Science Fair Project Mentor
- Volunteer Time Commitment: Mentoring sessions begin at different points in the Fall and Winter and conclude with the school’s science fair. Sessions run approximately 60 minutes in length for a 12 week period.
After-School Club Mentor
- Volunteer Time Commitment: After-school or during school clubs meet for 60-90 minutes for 2-3 months culminating in a competition.
Science Fair Judges
- Volunteer Time Commitment: Science Fairs are scheduled at different points in the Winter and Spring and are 3-7 hour commitments.
- Volunteer Time Commitment: Presentations take place throughout the year and run between 45-60 minutes and can be presented to a single classroom or as an assembly.
- Volunteer Time Commitment: Workshops take place throughout the year and run over two or more 45-60 minute sessions and can be given to a single classroom or an assembly.
Administrative, Marketing, Fundraising, Creative Support